Abbot & Costello(a)

Two Sunday's ago Roomie & I purchased a new addition for our home. A new couch, table, fixture?  No... we got birds.  Random I know, but it's what Roomie wanted for her birthday so I thought "Hey why not?!"  Plus, I've always secretly wanted to get someone a pet or animal for some occasion; and this was PERFECT timing!

Now I have to admit when I think of pets the following comes to my mind: dog...cat... hamster...fish...yeah that's about it. So when I heard "birds"  I was a bit taken back. For some reason when I think of birds I just get a glimpse of Alfred Hitchcock's version and that is enough for me. Ugh! I must say, I was very excited about getting Roomie birds for her birthday, I mean it's like the coolest present ever! Please meet Abbot & Costello(a) - we figured out Costello was a girl so we call her Castella :)


Roomie at Pet Smart holding Abbot for the first time.  
He spazzed out a little...ok a lot & he FREAKED ME OUT! 

Imagine 3 girls (Me, Roomie, and PetSmart chic) crammed into a 2x6 foot space with a loose bird flying over our heads...yeah not my cup of tea.  I was slightly mortified.  Abbot & Costella are Diamond Doves.  The males have a more pronounced orange eye and the females have a smaller orange rim around their eyes. We got educated :)


First time in their new home!


I think I could sit and watch them all day...I know I know they don't do anything but they are still fun.  Roomie just upgraded them to a new manufactured home (as I like to refer to it) and the first evening they were in it they were like an excited newly-wed couple- they were talking back and forth to each other, it was so cute.  Now before you get all detested with talking doves, let me just put a disclaimer up here: they don't talk/coo/chirp above a whisper, and they don't really make a lot of noise anyway.  They are pretty content just to be in their cage.  I held Abbot for the first time the other night when we had some girls over...yeah he flew...and again...I was freaked out. But hey, I'm making progress with them, right?! :)

That Sunday night I decided to make chicken spaghetti from a recipe I found from The Pioneer Woman.  If you don't know who this chic is, she's a city-girl made Southern Genius!  She's got her own cookbook and it is filled with fabulous recipes. Here is my very first chicken spaghetti: 

I was so proud of myself; and it turned out fabulous! I realized only after I cooked it that I would be the only one eating it since Roomie is on a special diet.  Later that week I ended up sharing my dish with a wonderful friend who enjoyed it probably WAY more than I did...don't you love that!?

Website of the day:  The Pioneer Woman. Diamond Doves
So you can find out all about Diamond Doves & meet The Pioneer Woman. Enjoy :)

Comments

Popular Posts