It took me so long to complete this project it was absolutely ridiculous! The main reason being, is because I stripped down the entire door to the bare wood before I painted it. 2 words...big. mistake. The wood had over 6 layers of paint on it, and judging from the difficulty of the removal, I think the door was an exterior door. a.k.a. the paint was baked on hard.
One side of the door was white, and the other side was a poopy greenish color.
I spent weeks...WEEKS peeling the paint off of both sides of this door. It was baked on so hard. I also used wood filler to fill in all of the small holes, and knicks. I used the sander as little as I needed to. I started off with Norton 80 grade sand paper in order to strip off as much paint as I could. I then finished it off with Norton 100 grade smoothing sandpaper. Even still there were a lot of imperfections I just had to live with.
It was a most glorious day when I was finally able to put the first layer of paint on the door. I just used Eggshell White Glossy Paint from Home Depot.
Once the door was painted I used a razor blade to scrape off the glass and get every bit of dust and paint off. Cheese cloth works so well for making sure that everything is off of the door.
I knew I wanted to frost the window, so I got the Rust-oleum Frosted Glass spray in a can. As you can see from the image below, it didn't turn out so well. There were specks, and really uneven cloud coverage on the window. I would not recommend this product for frosting windows at all! I would probably only use this for small craft projects, not large windows.
The window sucked, so I ended up having to completely
scrape off the frosting off of the entire window.....not fun.
I went back to Home Depot and found this little treasure. Artscape Etched Glass peel and stick. Whoever invented this stuff was genius. I cut out the piece that I wanted for the window (I cut about an inch more than I needed), sprayed the glass with a soap and water mixture, peeled and stuck the adhesive to the surface, and then squeegeed out the soap and water. The great thing about this stuff is that if you have bubbles, you just peel it off, spray with soap and water, and then start again. It's absolutely fool-proof. After I got the adhesive where I wanted it, I used a razor blade to cut it close in to the window so that there weren't any imperfections on the border. Miracle product, I'm telling you, and very cost effective. They also have many other decorative designs as well.
The vinyl decal I used came off of Etsy from Circle Wall Art. When I found this design, and fell in love with it, it was originally huge. I contacted the maker, and asked if they could customize it for my window. It came all the way from London and was great quality. It took both husband and I to get the decal level on the glass, this took about 15 minutes by itself. We taped it, and then started scratching.
We also purchased the door knobs at the home supply store. I really love glass knobs, and these were perfect.
I totally forgot to take any photos of us changing out the hinges, but we found some black steel ones at Home Depot. There was such anticipation in getting the door hung back in the kitchen/laundry room. I squealed when it finally was installed. Here's a blurry Before & After. So glad that this project is finally complete.
I have a lamp in my laundry room and at night it gives a really nice glow through the frosted glass. Everyone who walks into our house has raved about the door. Big improvement!